Wednesday 11 June 2014

Review: Real Techniques Sam’s Picks Brush Collection


Hello my pretties, who doesn’t love make up brushes? I’m sure you all know (and love) Real Techniques by now, and if you don’t, well then, where the hell have you been? But don’t fret, I’ve got you covered, today let’s talk about the Real Techniques Sam’s Picks Collection. I’ve had this set for around three months now, and I really really like it!

The Sam’s Picks Collection contains six brushes – multi-task brush, setting brush, buffing brush, pointed foundation brush, and two eye brushes. In my opinion these are really good choices and make a great starter kit as you can do a full face and more with this set. The wide range of brushes in this set make for a good introduction to the Real Techniques Brush Collection if you’ve never tried anything from them before.



Multi-task Brush
To be honest, I’m not really fussed about large powder brushes, they all just seem the same to me, really, what qualifies a powder brush to be good/bad? Anyway, the multi-task brush is a really good size, it’s not so big that it overwhelms your face nor is it so small it seems inefficient. It’s also very aptly named, as when I’m in a hurry I just use this for everything: contour, blush, powder, done! This brush would make a great travel companion (no not literally, it’s not going to take your photos or read the map).

Setting Brush
This is probably my favourite of the set; I think it’s so cute! Again this is a great size for setting your makeup and for highlighting. It’s also the perfect size to throw in your handbag for on-the-go touch-ups.

Buffing Brush
Ah, the highly anticipated buffing brush, I was most looking forward to this baby due to the immense hype surrounding it. It’s so great to be able to get it without having to get the whole core set. It’s marketed as a powder/mineral makeup brush, but I’ve never seen anyone in the beauty blogosphere us it for that purpose. Though, I do occasionally use it to powder my face after my foundation.

Pointed Foundation Brush
This has got to be the smallest foundation brush I’ve ever seen. Imagine how long it would take to do your face using just this alone! Anyway, it’s a great concealer brush, especially if you like to do the whole Kim Kardashian concealing/brightening shebang. Its teeny weeny size makes it good for going around the nose and other hard to reach areas.

Essential Crease Brush
This is a “set exclusive”; what is it with us girls, we see the words “limited edition” or “exclusive” and we HAVE to get it. It’s a great blending brush – not too big, not too firm, not too sparse. It’s also very soft, I hate those eye brushes that are so scratchy it’s like microdermabrasion for your eyes. It’s a great alternative to the MAC 217.

Fine Liner Brush
I use pen liners so this brush isn’t much use to me, and also I feel that it got a wee bit fluffier after washing. Even though I don’t use it for liner, it’s good for highlighting the inner corners of your eye or applying colour to your lower lash line.

I really like this brush set, there isn’t a single brush that I would neglect. These brushes are really user friendly and they’re a great choice if you’re just starting out in makeup or if you want to add more staples into your collection. They’re made of synthetic taklon bristles so they’re easy to maintain. They dry quickly and hold their shape after washes, I’ve also never had problems with shedding. The only gripple that I have with the Sam’s Picks set is the packaging. It’s very sturdy, but it’s hard to remove the brushes from the slots, and it’s disposable, so what’s the point? I wish it had come with a brush case or brush guards.

I ordered mine from feelunique.com, and they're also available at Luxola. Both sites have free worldwide shipping (très importante) and often have discount codes running.

I hoped you enjoyed my review. What’s your favourite Real Techniques brush?

Thanks for reading ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment